Wednesday

Frugal Recipe: Pat's Corn Chowder


This recipe is part of a series of occasional frugal recipes. If you have a frugal recipe you would like to share send me an email (BuckWeber (at) gmail.com) and I will consider it for the series. If I use it I would be happy to link back to your site or blog.

Today’s recipe comes from my lovely wife, Lady Lon, who last contributed her method for preparing and freezing sweet corn, along with her recipe for Newman Stew.

Here is another frugal recipe using the corn that I have frozen this past month. This is a family favorite. The recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law and she received the recipe from her dear friend Pat. Our family usually has soup on Christmas day with a variety of breads and crackers and this is always one of the soups simmering on the stove.

Pat's Corn Chowder

In a cast iron Dutch oven fry until done:
1 lb. bulk sausage (I usually buy Old Folks)
1 cup chopped onion.

Add and cook until potatoes are done:
4 cups 1/2 inch cubed potatoes (I usually leave the skins on)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. marjoram (crushed)
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups water

Then add:
2 cans creamed corn
1 package frozen corn (I usually freeze 2 cups to a bag)
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup skim milk

You can use lite evaporated milk & lite sausage if desired.

I hope your family enjoys it!

Lady Lon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Questions? Leave a comment!