Wednesday

Frugal Recipe: Newman Stew


This is the first in a series of occasional frugal recipes. If you have a frugal recipe you would like to share send me an email (BuckWeber (at) gmail.com) and I will consider it for the series. If I use it I would be happy to link back to your site or blog.

Today’s recipe comes from none other than my lovely wife, Lady Lon:

I decided to choose Newman Stew because one of the main ingredients is corn. This past week Buck and I went to a farm and picked 14 dozen ears of corn to freeze for the coming winter. There is nothing better than fresh frozen Iowa sweet corn in the middle of winter. So, bonus, not only am I sharing my recipe but also my method of freezing corn. I learned this method and received a “corn knife” from my wonderful older friend Gracie.

How to Prepare and Freeze Sweet Corn

Of course, shuck and clean silk from corn. Rinse in cold water. Cut off the cob with a corn knife or I also use my electric knife. Place corn in roaster pan (I use the disposable aluminum pan) with one stick real butter. Bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes. After removing from oven, stir corn until coated with melted butter. Allow to cool slightly then place in freezer baggies. I use the quart size and place 2 cups of corn in each bag.

Newman Stew

2 cans green beans (drain)
1 bag frozen corn
2 cups shredded Colby-jack cheese
1 lb ground beef (cooked with onion)
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown ground beef with onion. Drain. In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish spread one can green bean, ½ bag frozen corn & half the ground beef. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat the layering. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated thru and cheese is melted.

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.

Lady Lon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Questions? Leave a comment!