Wednesday

Frugal Recipe: Poppy's Chili


First, let me address the name of the recipe. I was given the nickname “Poppy” by my wife when our kids were little and they have called me that ever since. I have never been Dad, Father, Daddy, Pops or Papa, but always Poppy, still to this day.

As for the recipe, I am not going to give many measurements, only a list of ingredients that I use. Chili has so many variables, twists and turns it can take that any one recipe can only skim the surface of possibilities. Some like it hot, some not. So back off the hot ingredients or pour them on, because in my opinion it’s all good.

By the way, October is National Chili Month, so get on it!

Ingredients:

One pound ground hamburger, cooked (I have also used venison, cubed beef and pork as well as kielbasa and smoked sausage)

One onion, diced

One green pepper, diced

Garlic cloves, pressed

Tomato juice

Fresh tomatoes, diced (or canned if fresh are not available)

Chili beans

Tomato paste

Green chilies

Salsa

Beef broth

Crushed red pepper

Coriander

Jalapeno peppers

Cumin

Cilantro

Oregano

Celery seed

Cayenne

White pepper

Mustard

Worcestershire sauce

Steak sauce

Chili powder

Paprika

Tabasco

Black pepper

Basil

Directions:

Mix all of the ingredients together in a large pot, simmer for a few hours and serve with crackers or your favorite kind of bread. Top with shredded cheese if desired.

Related Reading:

Famous Chili Recipes

International Chili Society

Chili Appreciation Society International, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think my family will like this.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Questions? Leave a comment!