Monday

Best Free Reference Sites, Part Three

I love research, and if in a conversation a question can’t get answered I automatically have to search for it. There is such an amazing amount of information out there, and so many ways to find it, I thought I would dig into my browser favorites and share some of the sites I like to use. I list ten at a time, alphabetically, for this series. Here is the next batch.

Monstropedia – I admit this one might have limited appeal but I just had to include it because of my lifelong interest in the subject. As of this writing they offer 1,873 articles about…monsters!

Museum of Hoaxes – Covers hoaxes from the middle ages to the present. This site offers a hoax museum search engine and extensive archives.

National Archives – The record keeper for the United States holds “approximately 9 billion pages of textual records; 7.2 million maps, charts, and architectural drawings; more than 20 million still photographs; billions of machine-readable data sets; and more than 365,000 reels of film and 110,000 videotapes.”

Netronline – The public records online directory they offer is a portal to tax assessors and recorders offices for all 50 states. 

Nolo – They offer an extensive selection of free legal information, a legal encyclopedia and a lawyer directory.

Online Conversion – Convert anything from acceleration to pressure to weight, and about anything else you can think of. 

Pop Cult – A somewhat obscure but fun site that is cataloging “quality” pop culture. Go click around; I know you’ll find something interesting. 

The Straight Dope – One could argue that this is not exactly a reference site, but Cecil Adams has answered so many strange questions since 1973 that it had to make the cut.

Snopes – A dictionary of urban legends and “common fallacies, misinformation, old wives' tales, strange news stories, rumors, celebrity gossip, and similar items.” 

Wikipedia – While they had a few credibility problems early on Wikipedia has done much to clean up the site. Because of their extensive link love you can’t research just one subject while there. 

Related Reading:

Best Free Reference Sites, Part Two 

Best Free Reference Sites, Part One 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the great posts from last year! I look forward to reading your blog, because they are always full of information that I can put to use. Thank you again, and God bless you in 2010.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Questions? Leave a comment!