While in school my two kids were active in volleyball, swimming, wrestling, soccer, football and track and field. That led to a lot of meets, matches, practices and games to attend, as well as equipment to buy. Trying to get the best price on all that equipment can involve several methods, including:
- watch the newspaper flyers for deals
- buy at the end of the season when stores are liquidating stock
- buy from factory outlets
- check school equipment exchanges and sales
- browse used sporting equipment stores
- view online listings on Craigslist and Freecycle for your area
- ask other parents with slightly older or larger children
- ask the coach
Other parents, we found out, were more than eager to clear out last season’s equipment, usually for free or very little. Asking the coach is always a good idea because they are usually involved with purchasing equipment and/or are responsible for a school budget.
If your kids play sports how do you save money buying equipment?